Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fun Stuff I Got For My Birthday!

First on the list, to enhance my Dragon Age: Origins gameplay, I got the two downloadable content packages: Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar.  I've played the game for about 76 hours so far.  I'm definitely one of those completionist types who explores every little detail of everything.  Since I'm about 2 major quests from the end, it's nice to have something extra to do.  Then it's on to the expansion pack in March :)  After that, Mass Effect, here I come!

 
When I'm not gaming, I should probably do some working out on my own in addition to the Tae Kwon Do.  I have the original Core Performance book which is really awesome.  Now I've got the Women's edition to round it out.  Mark Verstegen's program is really great and I highly recommend it to anyone at any fitness level.  He concentrates on working your core muscles and using multi-joint exercises (which more resemble everyday life movement than single-joint exercises most people usually do).  He also incorporates active stretching and active resting.  Very sound program and great for getting in shape.


Then there's these lovely gems.  Cookbooks for bread, bento and yummy vegetarian meals!  I can't wait to try stuff out of all of these.  I'm so excited!

 

(As opposed to the Unconscious Cook or the Comatose Cook.  Both sure to come out soon.)



And my favorite one so far!!!!
("Kawaii" means "cute" and "Bento" means "Lunchbox" in Japanese)


Last but not least, I got a nice little political humor book by H.L. Mencken titled Notes on Democracy.  The back of the book reads:
Wars for "freedom."  Fundamentalists intent on banishing Darwin from the classroom.  Intrusive laws.  H.L. Mencken wrote Notes on Democracy over 80 years ago.  His era, the years of World War I, Prohibition and the Scopes Trial, is strikingly like today.  Dissident Books reintroduces this gem of cynicism and clear-thinking to a new generation.  Don't even think about voting until you read this book!

2 comments:

  1. As Dissident Books' publisher, I'm delighted that someone thought to give you "Notes on Democracy: A New Edition!" Mr. Mencken and I hope you enjoy it. Justin Logan, associate director of foreign policy studies at the Cato Institute last December called "Notes on Democracy: A New Edition" "the best for-pleasure book I read (so far!) in 2009."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicholas. Thanks for the response. I can always count on my loved ones to watch out for my political well-being :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete