Saturday, January 23, 2010

Avatar discussions... again? No, it's about the responses it's elicited.


I'm on an email list for a Naturalistic Paganism group and there's been a lot of discussion about the movie Avatar.  I would say that pretty much all of it has been positive since Avatar portrays a story about a nature-based civilization.  However, an email came through today in response to another member's email defending the nature-based side of the movie against the "small (but vitriolic) backlash against Avatar by fundamentalist Christians".  The response to his email was, in short, to say that participating in these types of arguments is a "waste of time" and "all the brou-ha-ha about the movie has made [her] ambivalent feelings about going to see it in the first place swing right on over to the side of 'now I know for sure I don't want to see it.'"

I decided to respond to her notion that Avatar (and possibly other movies by her implications) is "just a movie" and people like the original poster and the fundamentalist Christians should "get over it".  I also thought my response was meaningful enough to me to share it with others:

I think one of the greatest things about humans is that we do find deeper meanings in movies (and other works of art) and are willing to discuss them.  And yes, sometimes argue about them.  By finding deeper meaning in things, it allows us to develop and strengthen meaning in our lives or at least serve as parables to help us understand things around us.  You state that you're not making a commentary on others' likes and dislikes, but your very email makes a commentary on those that choose to participate in these types of discussions (argument or otherwise).  Some people do feel strongly enough to respond in a way that you may feel is arguing, but that's their choice and they may find meaning in it that you don't.  It's unfortunate that you've chosen to allow the "brou-ha-ha" to influence your choice to see Avatar (and probably other movies in the past).  Without seeing it, it would be difficult for you to understand where [the original poster] and others are coming from.

Just like the point [the poster] made in his original email: without suffering and death in the world, it would be hard to distinguish what makes things wonderful.   I think the same thing applies to discussing differing viewpoints in art and film.  I feel discourse between those around me helps me to find a deeper appreciation for those works.  Granted, I usually find my own meaning, but as I listen to or read what others have to say (whether I agree with them or not), I find it helps me to strengthen and refine my own viewpoints about the movie and sometimes about my own faith and understanding of the world.  Avatar happens to one of those movies that does make commentary on many religious and political levels and that's why there is so much discussion about it.  It would be remiss for you to say that it doesn't make those kind of statements since you have never watched it.

I do agree that Avatar does have a common story with a common theme underneath all the glamor, but if you look at lot of art and film in this world, they would probably fall into the category of "common story/common theme" as well.  What makes a movie that tells a common story great, is how much it's able to touch the people who watch it.  How much it's able to get people thinking and talking and yes, even arguing.  Just because something has a common theme, doesn't mean people can't take significant meaning from it.  Go back to Winnie the Pooh or Aesop's Fables, for example.  Those are common stories with common themes, but there's so much meaning in them.  I would never consider them "just books".

These discussions aren't about coming out as winners in the end. You're right, no one does come out as a winner.  But no one comes out as a loser either.  It's all a matter of perspective and you take from it what you will.  In your case, you've chosen to forgo watching the movie altogether.  And that's your choice.  And you feel that taking part in these discussions and arguments is a waste of time.  And that, too, is your choice.  But please respect those who do feel it's worth their time to participate and recognize that even though you may not get something out of it, others will.
Thanks for taking the time to read it. Please tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment